Replacing a multi-campus school's virtual desktop environment, network and wireless infrastructure
To streamline and protect the school's systems, BAMITS introduced Lavalla to a number of market-leading products from its partners.
Lavalla Catholic College provides a Catholic education that meets all the needs of the students and families in the Latrobe Valley.
BAMITS designed and implemented a solution based on Citrix XenApp that would initially have the capacity to support up to 200 concurrent users and could easily be scaled up to support over 1000 users with additional physical servers.
Citrix XenApp is a desktop virtualisation solution that transforms desktops and applications into a secure on-demand service available to any user, anywhere, on any device. XenApp delivers individual Windows applications and full virtual desktops to PCs, Macs, tablets, smartphones, laptops and thin clients, with a high-definition user experience over any network. Citrix XenApp allows delivery of virtual desktops and applications tailored to meet the diverse performance, security and flexibility requirements of every user inside an organisation through a single solution.
The school had been using Dell hardware for a number of years and it was proven as a reliable foundation for delivering IT services across the school’s three campuses; already being a Dell partner meant BAMITS was able to supply and commission the necessary hardware.
- high performance Dell servers to reduce the total number of physical servers required
- SAN technology that could provide live replication to the school’s Disaster Recovery site
- Citrix Netscaler virtual appliances in a high availability configuration
- a backup solution using Veeam Backup & Replication and a tape library
- an antivirus solution using Bitdefender on all servers and staff devices
- disaster recovery which allowed the offsite DR servers to be part of the production environment
- wireless student bandwidth limiting
- an SCCM implementation to control applications and updates for servers and staff computers
The new VDI environment performed as required, and BAMITS returned to design and implement a solution for the replacement of the school's network and wireless infrastructure. This included:
Since the beginning of the 2016 school year, the Citrix solution has provided staff and students with a stable environment to securely access the school’s IT resources from any location with any device via its desktop, device or web client. As the infrastructure was refreshed during the school holidays, there was no downtime for students.